Iowa Newborn Girl Dies Days After Catching Virus From Kiss

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A nearly 3-week-old Iowa infant girl who was placed on life support after contracting a virus believed to be from a simple kiss has died, the baby's mother said Tuesday.

Mariana Sifrit is seen in a photo posted to a GoFundMe page.

Mariana Sifrit is seen in a photo posted to a GoFundMe page.

"Our princess Mariana Reese Sifrit gained her angel wings at 8:41 am this morning in her daddy's arms and her mommy right beside her. She is now no longer suffering and is with the Lord," Nicole Sifrit wrote in a Facebook post.

Nicole and Shane Sifrit had shared her daughter's story last week, hoping to raise awareness of the potential dangers of having a newborn come into contact with others.

The couple welcomed baby Mariana on July 1. A week later -- two hours after the couple's wedding -- they say they noticed that the girl was not eating and would not wake up when they tried to get her to respond.

"Within two hours, she had quit breathing, and all her organs just started to fail," Nicole Sifrit told CNN affiliate WHO.

According to WHO, the couple left their wedding early to take Mariana to Blank Children's Hospital in Des Moines, where they learned that she had contracted meningitis HSV-1, caused by the herpes virus -- the same virus that causes cold sores.

Meningitis can be caused by bacteria, fungi or other types of germs, and it can be spread through sexual contact or from a woman to her baby during childbirth, according to Johns Hopkins Medicine.

Mariana's parents both tested negative for the virus, they said, suggesting that it could have come from others who visited the child.

"They touch her, and then she touches her mouth with her hand," Sifrit explained. It's hard to pinpoint exactly how Mariana caught the virus, but she wants people to know that it's important that people are cautious when they let anyone handle their babies.

"Keep your babies isolated, don't let just anyone come visit them, and make sure they are constantly washing their hands. Don't let people kiss your baby, and make sure they ask before they pick up your baby," she warned.

Dr. Tanya Altmann, a pediatrician at Calabasas Pediatrics in California, said that "viral meningitis is transmitted through close casual contact. However, she caught the virus and then developed meningitis. ... It is very common to catch the virus, but very rarely does it develop into meningitis.

"The first two months after a child is born are very critical, as a virus can rapidly spread and cause serious illness in newborns," she said. This is why parents are advised to be particularly careful during those first months.

Mariana was just 18 days old when she passed away.

"In her 18 days of life she made a huge impact on the world and we hope with Mariana's Story we save numerous newborns life. R.I.P. sweet angel," Sifrit wrote in the post.