Carjacking Suspect Arrested in Long Beach After Lengthy Pursuit; Replica Handgun Recovered: LASD

Deputies arrested the driver of a carjacked truck after he traveled erratically and against traffic through multiple cities in southeast Los Angeles County and north Orange County on Thursday afternoon.

Authorities for some time gave up the chase but the suspected carjacker, nevertheless, continued driving a white pickup truck dangerously, entering Orange County about 3:20 pm., about an hour after the chase began near Pico Rivera.

The truck was seen driving on the wrong side of the road and at high speeds, aerial video from Sky5 showed.

About 2:45 p.m., the truck narrowly missed some kind of police cruiser near Whittier. The picked squeezed very close to other cars, pushing through traffic and running red lights.

The pursuit started about 2:23 p.m. in Bellflower, when deputies located a Toyota Highlander that had been reported stolen traveling westbound on Washington Street near Woodruff Avenue, according to a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department news release.

The driver failed to stop, and authorities initiated a short pursuit that ended in Downey, authorities said. The driver fled the truck near Izetta Avenue and Adoree Street holding what appeared to be a handgun.

Deputies were working on setting up a perimeter when the driver carjacked a truck, according to the release.

Authorities began pursuing the suspect again for a short time before going into surveillance mode. The Sheriff's Aero Bureau monitored the vehicle through multiple cities, but that too was discontinued once the driver went into the East L.A. area.

With no one pursuing the truck, it continued to travel against traffic, driving over medians as the truck entered the La Mirada area and continued south into Orange County, passing near Fullerton Airport.

About 3:25 p.m., once the vehicle reentered L.A. County, a sheriff's helicopter appeared back over the truck, and ground units soon came within feet of the vehicle in the La Palma area.

The chase continued into the Long Beach area, where the pursuit ended shortly before 4 p.m.

With more than a dozen patrol vehicles behind him, the driver slowed to a stop on Pacific Coast Highway near Anaheim Place and got out of the truck with his hands up, Sky5 video showed.

The driver was arrested without incident, and authorities recovered a replica handgun, according to the release.

An investigation was ongoing, and anyone with information is asked to call the Lakewood Sheriff's Station 562-623-3500.

KTLA's Matt Phillips and Tracy Bloom contributed to this article.