BREAKING: Student Arrested in South L.A. School Shooting Threat Had AR-15, Ammo, List of Intended Victims, Officials Say

Fire on Plane Departing from John Wayne Airport Is Extinguished; ‘Few’ Minor Injuries Reported

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

A Southwest Airlines flight was departing for San Jose from John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana when a fire was reported aboard the plane on Monday night, an airport spokeswoman said.

The fire — which has since been put out — broke out on Southwest flight #2123, causing its emergency chutes to deploy, according to the airport. Evacuations slides were used to remove passengers and crew members from the plane, the airline said.

The plane carrying Southwest Airlines flight #2123 had a fire break out before takeoff at John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana on Feb. 12, 2018. (Credit: KTLA)

The plane carrying Southwest Airlines flight #2123 had a fire break out before takeoff at John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana on Feb. 12, 2018. (Credit: KTLA)

It was reported at about 7:30 p.m., Deanne Thompson, an airport spokeswoman, said.

"A few minor injuries" were reported by the airport in a tweet, although officials have not released further information about those — only saying no one was taken to a hospital for treatment.

No serious injuries were reported, according to a statement from Southwest Airlines.

The flight was carrying 139 passengers and 5 crew members, airport officials tweeted. An hour after the fire was first reported, Southwest Airlines was still working on getting those passengers onto other flights the same night, Thompson said.

However, as baggage for each passenger has to now be transferred onto other planes, Southwest has no exact time frame for when people would be ensured a replacement flight, she said.

In a statement, the airline said its employees in Orange County were "working diligently" to make accommodations for passengers.

"We regret any inconvenience the event has caused," the airline statement read.

John Wayne Airport tweeted that the fire had been put out just before 8:00 p.m.

At the time the fire broke out, the plane was pushing back from the gate, Thompson said. It was located in the auxiliary power unit, which is a small engine in the rear of the plane.

Soon after the fire was reported, the airline crew decided to evacuate passengers from the plane, the airport said in tweet.

By 8:35 p.m., the airport tweeted that operations across its facility were "back to normal."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.