Homicide Suspect in Custody After Pursuit Through South L.A.; Victim’s Family Says She Killed Him Over His Sexuality

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A woman being sought in connection with a homicide was taken into custody after leading police on a pursuit through South Los Angeles streets with a young female in the back seat on Thursday, according to authorities and video.

Later on Thursday, family and friends of the man she is suspected of fatally stabbing accused her of targeting the victim because of his sexuality.

The pursuit started in the area of 88th Place and Main Street, in the Broadway-Manchester neighborhood, around 11:45 a.m., according to Los Angeles Police Department Officer Ray Brown.

During the short pursuit the black sedan could be seen driving erratically on streets, at times running stop signs and driving on the wrong side of the road, Sky5 aerial video showed. The chase lasted about 30 minutes.

At one point, the driver slowed while making a turn in an intersection and appeared to be speaking out of her rolled-down window to someone, possibly a driver in a nearby vehicle or police.

Shortly before 12:10 p.m., police tried to stop the car with a spike strip; although it was not immediately clear whether the car drove over it, the back tire appeared to be flat a short time later.

A large crowd gathered at a South L.A. intersection after a pursuit came to an end on Aug. 2, 2018. (Credit: KTLA)

A large crowd gathered at a South L.A. intersection after a pursuit came to an end on Aug. 2, 2018. (Credit: KTLA)

A few minutes later, the driver stopped in the middle of an intersection as LAPD patrol cars surrounded her vehicle, the aerial footage showed.

She and the girl then got out of the car through the driver's-side door. The woman was immediately apprehended by approaching officers and placed in a police vehicle; the young female, meanwhile, was safely in the custody of law enforcement personnel, according to the video.

After, a large crowd gathered at the scene where the pursuit ended -- at 43rd Street and Avalon Boulevard -- and things got tense for a time, Sky5 video showed.

The driver, whose name was not being released by authorities, was a suspect in a homicide, Brown confirmed.

She was wanted in a fatal stabbing that occurred in the Historic South-Central area of South Los Angeles on Wednesday night, according to LAPD Sgt. Shannon Hale.

LAPD Officer Rosaria Herrera later said the stabbing actually occurred shortly after 12:30 a.m. Thursday, at a bus stop near Central and Vernon avenues. An argument escalated between the suspect and the male victim, resulting in the woman stabbing the man, according to Herrera.

Ronald Miller is seen in an undated photo provided by his family.

Ronald Miller is seen in an undated photo provided by his family.

The victim, who died after being transported to a local hospital, was identified by family members as 27-year-old Ronald Miller. They said he was someone who loved to boost others' spirits and help people in need.

According to a GoFundMe page, he was known as Wayne Thang.

"He was just the life of the party," said his sister Maraka Stubbs. "He cheered everybody up all the time."

Stubbs told KTLA the suspect would habitually harass Miller because he was gay.

"It was definitely a hate crime because this ain’t the first time she did something like that to him," she said.

Stubbs described the woman involved as "just terrible."

"She just has a terrible history, not just with him but with so many people,” and had attacked others in the past, including her own family members, Stubbs said.

Loved ones gathered at scene to remember Miller and his uplifting personality. He was one of eight children.

Neighbor Orelia Pearson said he had a big heart and was always happy to help her with anything she needed around the house.

"He was very nice," Pearson said. "He would always meet you with a smile on his face. He never had a frown on his face."

Miller's mother drove past the vigil and paused, wiping tears from her eyes, but was too emotional to attend.

Herrera initially told KTLA the pursuit began around 11:30 a.m. in the area of Olympic Boulevard and Santa Fe Avenue, and that the vehicle involved was stolen; however, it turned out she was referencing another pursuit in the area that was taking place around the same time as the one involving the homicide suspect.

Police gave no indication the woman's car was stolen.

KTLA's Jennifer Thang, Judy Oehling and Erika Martin contributed to this story. 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.