Three men have been found guilty in a 2017 gang shooting in East Compton that left a 4-year-old-boy who was sitting in a nearby car wounded, officials announced Friday.
Luis Julian Beltran Perez, 23, Edgar Manuel Rosas, 35, and Salvador Sanchez, 21, were each convicted Thursday of two counts of attempted murder and three counts of shooting at an occupied motor vehicle, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said in a news release. The jury also found true allegations of use of a firearm and that the shooting was committed for the “benefit of, at the direction of, and in association with a criminal street gang.”
Perez was also found guilty of three counts of attempted voluntary manslaughter. The jury also concluded the attempted murders were “willful, deliberate and premeditated,” the DA’s office said.
The shooting happened on June 7, 2017, when Perez, Rosas and Sanchez confronted another group of men in front of a liquor store near the intersection of Atlantic Avenue and Compton Boulevard, prosecutors said. After an altercation, Perez opened fire on the men. One of the stray bullets struck a 4-year-old boy who had been sitting in the back seat of his mother’s car which was located nearby.
At a news conference a few days after the shooting, responding Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Art Gonzalez described that when he saw the little boy he unbuckled him from his car seat, cradled him and told him to “hang in there.” The boy was transported in a patrol car to a local hospital where he received life-saving medical attention, prosecutors said.
Perez, Rosas and Sanchez are scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 24.