Man Suffers Burn Injuries After Fire Ignites at Garden Grove Home

Garden Grove Fire Department released this image of a house fire on the 11000 block of True Way on Nov. 17, 2018.

Garden Grove Fire Department released this image of a house fire on the 11000 block of True Way on Nov. 17, 2018.

A man sustained critical burn injuries after a fire erupted at a Garden Grove home early Saturday, authorities said.

Crews responded to the blaze around 12:30 a.m. at a one-story house in the 11000 block of True Way, the Garden Grove Fire Department said.

Personnel reported seeing flames in the garage and attic. An image released by the Fire Department shows massive flames and smoke coming from the residence.

According to the agency, “excessive storage conditions that included small propane bottles exploding” interfered with firefighting efforts.

It took 25 firefighters from Garden Grove and Anaheim about 20 minutes to gain control of the blaze, officials said.

A man sustained burn injuries in the incident and was transported to a hospital. His family later transferred him to a burn center, where he remained in critical condition, the Fire Department said.

Seven other adults were displaced from the fire. Red Cross was requested to assist them, officials said.

Investigators determined the blaze to be accidental, saying they could not rule out that a propane heater or improperly disposed smoking material possibly ignited the fire. The home’s smoke alarm was not working, the Fire Department said.

Authorities estimated damages to cost about $125,000.

Fire officials urged residents to avoid using propane-fired heaters inside structures that are not well-ventilated. They also reminded the public to dispose of cigarettes properly and ensure functioning smoke alarms are installed throughout the home.