Jessica Holmes has heard Frank Buckley talk about his Brussels sprouts "maybe 100 times" -- but the dish, a tradition on the Buckley family's Thanksgiving table, lives up to the hype. Elevated with pancetta and onion, this recipe for Brussels sprouts is delicious and yet so simple to make. It's the perfect accompaniment to any holiday meal, but it's also great year round.
Says Frank: "Accept compliments from your family with humility."
This segment with Jessica Holmes and Frank Buckley aired on KTLA's California Cooking: Episode 9, a "friendsgiving" special.
- 1 bag Brussels sprouts (fresh, not frozen)
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pack of diced Citterio pancetta
- Microwave the bag of Brussels sprouts for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the sprouts out of the bag and cut them in half.
- Put some of the extra virgin oil in a pan over the stove top and add in 1/2 cup of chopped onions. Saute the onions until translucent.
- Add the sprouts in and saute until they have a bit of char to them.
- Once the spouts are browned, add the entire pack of pancetta in the pan and cook for 30 seconds to a 1 minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Frank gets all the ingredients for this dish from Trader Joe's.