Man Arrested Following Wild Chase That Ended in Standoff on 5 Freeway in Burbank

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

Authorities engaged in a standoff with a suspect who led them on a wild chase in which he repeatedly rammed pursuing officers and civilian cars before heading the wrong way on the 5 Freeway in Burbank, authorities said.

The encounter began after police responded to reports of a man armed with a knife about 7:25 p.m. at Big Tujunga Canyon Road and Oro Vista Avenue, Los Angeles Police Department Officer Rosario Cervantes said. The driver refused to pull over, initiating a chase.

Aerial footage showed the driver putting his car in reverse and ramming pursuing officers' vehicles several times. The driver was seen waving an object, possibly a knife, out the window during the chase.

The car then entered the 5 Freeway in the Sun Valley area, heading south in the northbound lanes, then continued into Burbank.

The pursuit transitioned into a standoff after the car rammed two civilian vehicles and came to a stop on the freeway near Buena Vista Avenue.

CHP officers were seen firing weapons as the driver exited the car. He then got back in.

After remaining inside the car for about an hour, the suspect again emerged from the car.  Officials fired a volley of less-lethal rounds, police said. The driver then lied down on the road before being swarmed by officers.

The California Highway Patrol issued a Sig Alert for both directions of the 5 Freeway, just south of Buena Vista Avenue, as the standoff continued Friday night. Northbound lanes were opened about midnight, but southbound lanes remained closed for the investigation.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.