Coachella Off to Fiery Start With Mobile Shower Unit Catching Fire

A trailer was damaged and another was destroyed after a mobile shower unit caught fire early Saturday at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, where crowds have flocked in for the first weekend of the Coachella music festival.

Nobody was hurt in the incident that happened around 2 a.m. near the center of the venue, according to CalFire. It occurred in a storage area of Lot 8 in the 81000 block of Avenue 51, the agency said.

Firefighters in four engines arrived at the scene to find the shower unit fully involved in flames, CalFire said. They extinguished the blaze in about 20 minutes.

Twitter users managed to record video as flames engulfed the shower unit.

Authorities have provided no details on what might have ignited the fire.

The incident brought back memories of a recent wildfire for one concertgoer from Malibu.

"My fiancé, Marcel Vigneron, and I have an RV in the corner area close to where the fire was," Lauren Levy told CNN. "It all happened a few minutes after 2 a.m., and the flames got high quickly. We were told at one point we had to vacate the premises, but then we were told it was OK and we could stay."

"There are many firefighters around here, thankfully, so they were able to put it out quickly, thank goodness, but what a scare," she added. "We were evacuated from our home in Malibu in November, so this shook me up, seeing fire so close again. The flames got high."

Coachella started Friday and will continue through Sunday before resuming for a second weekend on April 19 to 21. Ariana Grande, Childish Gambino and Janelle Monae are slated to perform.

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.