Officials have lifted the evacuation and shelter-in-place orders triggered by a chemical fire at an industrial building in Simi Valley on Tuesday morning.
Ventura County firefighters and Simi Valley police responded to 101 W. Cochran St. at around 6:15 a.m. after an employee reported that some tanks filled with nitric acid were on fire, Sgt. Patrick Zayicek said.
A number of 75-gallon drums containing nitric acid were burning inside a building, Ventura County fire Capt. Anthony Romero told the Los Angeles Times.
The blaze, which sent plumes of smoke over the area, caused the evacuation of surrounding businesses. The nearby Costco store was closed, and residents were asked to shelter in place and close their windows and doors.
The businesses affected have since been allowed to reopen, Capt. Anthony Romero said through Twitter at a 11:34 a.m.
"The fire has been contained and controlled to the building... You may smell smoke in the area, but there's no immediate threat to our citizens," Romero said.
Roads were expected to reopen at around noon. No injuries were reported.
KTLA's Nancy Fontan contributed to this report.