Just days after a weekend of record heat, hail hit Southern California on Wednesday.
Locals reported hail across the region, from Culver City to downtown L.A., Pasadena and El Monte to Hemet and Redlands.
The California Highway Patrol, which saw some hail in its Pico-Union station among others, reminded motorists to slow down and turn on their headlights.
Temperatures could drop below 32 degrees Fahrenheit in mountain areas on Wednesday. Antelope Valley is expected to see similar conditions on Saturday. This prompted a cold weather alert from the L.A. Department of Public Health.
Mountain areas including Big Bear, Wrightwood and Running Springs all saw the first snowfall of the season.
By 11 a.m., Mountain High had received 2 to 3 inches of snow and Lockwood Valley had up to 6 inches of snow, the National Weather Service reported. Frazier Park, which has an elevation of about 5,000 feet, got a dusting of up to 1 inches of snow.
After receiving several inches of snow Wednesday, Snow Valley announced the resort is planning to open as early as next Wednesday, weather permitting, according to a news release.
Snow is forecast to hit mountain areas through Thursday, with levels dropping to as low as 4,500 feet, the weather service said.
A winter weather advisory is in effect through 7 p.m. Thursday for Acton, Mount Wilson, Sandberg, and other L.A. County mountain communities, excluding the Santa Monica Mountains.
In San Bernardino and Riverside counties, mountain areas are under a winter storm warning from 7 a.m. Wednesday to 7 p.m. Thursday. Communities affected include Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear City, Big Bear Lake, Running Springs, Wrightwood and Idyllwild-Pine Cove.
Up to 16 inches of snow could fall on higher peaks, according to forecasters. Transportation officials recommended motorists to check for chain requirements on state routes 330 and 18 in the San Bernardino mountains.
Officials urged the public to take precautions in preventing carbon monoxide poisoning by only using approved heaters and installing a carbon monoxide detector. They also reminded pet owners not to leave their animals outside overnight.