3 O.C. Deputies Hospitalized After Responding to Fire at Senior Care Home in Mission Viejo
Three Orange County Sheriff’s deputies were hospitalized for smoke inhalation after responding to a fire at a senior care home in Mission Viejo Saturday afternoon, authorities said.
Deputies arrived at the smoke-filled home on Carrillo just before 3 p.m. to find that a fire inside the kitchen had just been extinguished, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said.
It was unclear whether anyone was still in the house until deputies heard screaming and ran inside, looking for residents, officials said.
Three people were rescued from their bedrooms and treated at the scene by Orange County Fire Authority paramedics.
Firefighters responded to the home and made sure the fire was completely out, the Sheriff’s Office said.
Three deputies suffered smoke inhalation-related injuries and were taken to a hospital for treatment. They were all dispatched from the hospital by the evening and are expected to make a full recovery, authorities said.
Photos showed a badly burned kitchen where a microwave above the stove appeared partially melted and the ceiling was charred black.
It’s unclear what started the fire and no further details were available.
View this post on Instagram
Our three deputies were discharged from the hospital this evening after being treated for smoke inhalation. We are grateful the residents in the home, deputies, and firefighters were safe. Big thanks to OCFA for treating our guys in the field and the staff at Mission Hospital. @orangecountyfireauthority @mission_hospital @ocsheriff