Woman Burned When Vape Device Explodes in Backpack at Yucaipa Store

Data pix.

A woman suffered burns over about 20% of her body after a vape device exploded in her backpack at a Yucaipa Rite Aid store on Tuesday, officials said.

The incident unfolded about 6 p.m. at the store, 34420 Yucaipa Boulevard, Calfire Battalion Chief Josh Janssen said.

"We received multiple reports of a female on fire in a local Rite Aid," he said.  "While responding to the incident, we received updated information that the fire was caused by a vape pen that had exploded inside the female's backpack."

Firefighters found the woman suffering from first- and second-degree burns on her back, covering about 20 percent of her body, he said.

The woman was taken to a burn center for treatment.

A woman was burned after a vape device exploded in her backpack at a Rite Aid store in Yucaipa on Dec. 31, 2019. (Credit: Calfire via RMG New)

A woman was burned after a vape device exploded in her backpack at a Rite Aid store in Yucaipa on Dec. 31, 2019. (Credit: Calfire via RMG New)

Images from the scene showed a backpack with a hole burned through it, as well as several pieces of charred clothing.

No further details were available.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.