Candle Blamed for Seal Beach Apartment Fire That Sent 2 to Hospital

Data pix.

A candle left burning in a bedroom is being blamed for a Seal Beach apartment fire that sent two people to the hospital early Monday morning.

The fire was reported about 12:40 a.m. in the 12200 block of Montecito Road.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and fire coming from the second story of the two-story apartment building, Orange County Fire Authority Division Chief Ron Roberts said.

Two people were hospitalized with minor injuries as a result of the fire, a Fire Authority spokesperson said.

Crews aggressively fought the blaze and had most of the flames knocked down by 1:30 a.m.

Two units were badly damaged, and three others sustained minor damage. Fire crews had to contend with pack-rat conditions in one of the units, the spokesperson said.

Investigators searched the building and determined a candle had ignited the blaze, Fire Authority spokesperson Tony Bommarito said.

The Red Cross was called to the scene to help more than 20 people who were displaced by the incident.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.