Chef and restaurateur Nick Liberato has a new show on Netflix, "Restaurants on the Edge," where he and his team visit under-performing restaurants around the world and help revitalize and uplift them.
He joined Jessica in her kitchen to make his beach mussels, which are served at The Pier House.
Jessica loved everything about this dish.
Visit Nick's Instagram for more of his food adventures.
This segment aired on California Cooking With Jessica Holmes Episode 61.
Pier House's Beach Mussels (serves 4)
- 5 pounds of PEI or Greenlip mussels
- 2 bay leafs
- 2 teaspoons of red chili flakes
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves
- Heavy cream
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 10 fennel (with tops, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch of fennel pollen
- 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- Fennel fronds (tops of the fennel plant)
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 loaf of sourdough bread to grill
- Add oil to a hot pan.
- Add sliced shallots, fennel, garlic and bay leaf.
- Add mussels and sauté.
- Add 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
- Toss in pan.
- Add Kaffir lime cream and cover with lid.
- Steam and make sure all mussels are open.
- Plate in a bowl and top with fresh fennel fronds and fennel pollen.