It’s Jessica’s favorite time of the year, when the weather is cozier and the food options are abundant.
She wanted to try a new recipe to ring in fall, and went with a combination of her two loves: apples and bread pudding.
Her apple butter bread pudding is so good, she said she would wear the scent as a perfume.
This segment aired on California Cooking with Jessica Holmes Episode 110.
Apple Butter Bread Pudding
- 8 to 12 store-bought croissants, sliced in half
- Apple butter
- 3 cups of milk
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 honeycrisp apple, peeled and chopped
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
For the streusel
- 1/2 cup of pecans, chopped
- 1/4 stick of cold butter
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Spread the apple butter on sliced croissants.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs.
- Add sugar, vanilla and apples.
- Put the croissants back together and cut them into big chunks.
- Butter a baking dish, add the croissant pieces and pour the milk and egg mixture over it.
- Press everything down so it’s completely soaked.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the streusel, add pecans, butter, flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon into a bowl and mix it together with your hands.
- Top the bread pudding with the streusel then bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- Serve your creation with vanilla ice cream if you like.