Jessica recently tried her hand at a chicken and dumplings soup.
This meal is creamy and velvety and only requires one pot!
This segment aired on California Cooking with Jessica Holmes Episode 125.
Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 carrots, chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Bay leaf
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 boxes of chicken broth
- 1 cup chardonnay or another white wine
- 2 to 3 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- Splash of heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups of cake flour
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 3/4 cups of milk
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- Garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons of green herbs, chopped (parsley, dill, chives)
- Add butter, carrots, celery and onion to a Dutch oven pot and cook until the veggies are soft.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic, thyme and bay leaf.
- Add flour and allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Add chicken broth, wine, more salt and pepper, bring to a slow boil and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the broth is cooking, make the dumpling batter:
- Add cake flour, butter, milk, baking powder, salt, garlic powder and herbs and mix together to combine. Don’t overmix
- Add rotisserie chicken and frozen peas to the broth. Remove the bay leaf.
- Add a splash of heavy whipping cream.
- Add the dumpling dough to a teaspoon and drop it in the broth. Add as many teaspoons of dough as you’d like.
- Put the lid on the Dutch oven and simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Garnish your bowl of chicken and dumplings with more herbs.