One of Laila Ali’s favorite salads is a simple red cabbage salad that she usually makes once a week. Bonus: It’s a great make-ahead dish that you can put in the refrigerator – and it will just get better as time goes on.
Jessica Holmes demonstrates how to make it in this web exclusive segment for KTLA’s California Cooking: Episode 2.
The simple red cabbage salad recipe is featured in Laila Ali’s cookbook, “Food for Life.”
- 1 small red cabbage (about 2 pounds), cored and shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
How to Make:
- Place the cabbage in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, honey, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Add the oil and whisk until emulsified.
- Add the dressing to the cabbage and toss to coat.
- Taste and add more salt and/or lemon juice if needed.
Serves four to six people.
*If you have more time, you can supplement the salad by adding: 1/2 jalapeño, chopped; grated carrot or parsnips; 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley; meat or cilantro; and 2 scallions, white and light green parts thinly sliced.
This recipe was reprinted with permission.