It’s Saturday, November 11th, 2023. This is Veterans Day. Here are some interesting and education Veterans Day related events you might want to know about.
Take a look at this report and then scroll down this page for more information I did not have time to tell you.
Enjoy! Please stay safe!
Card writing and Headstone Washing Event
Friday, November 17, 2023
9:00 am to Noon
Los Angeles National Cemetery
950 South Sepulveda Boulevard
Go to aarp.org/losangeles to register.
It’s Veterans Day 2023. This is an opportunity for us to thank living veterans for their service as well as veterans who sacrificed it all.
AARP Los Angeles invites us to help our fallen soldiers. We can write cards to the nation’s service members and clean and polish headstones at the Los Angeles National Cemetery.
The special opportunity happens Friday, November 17th from 9am to Noon at the Los Angeles National Cemetery. Register at aarp.org/losangeles
Lunch will be provided. Volunteers, who should wear comfortable clothes, can work at their own pace. This event is free!
Saturday, November 11th from 2p.m. to 4p.m.
Free Admission & Free Parking
Veterans Day Commemoration at Heroes Hall Museum
OC Fair & Event Center
88 Fair Drive
Post 9/11 veterans who are invited for special recognition to this ceremony.
That’s Tibor Rubin expressing his appreciation for having received the nation’s highest award for military valor in action. The Medal of Honor. The Orange County resident’s story is one of 18 illustrated at the Heroes Hall Museum exhibition VALOR & VIRTUE: JEWISH AMERICAN MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS.
In addition to the VALOR & VIRTUE exhibition, there is a special ceremony at Heroes Hall in Costa Mesa starting at 2pm. Post 9/11 veterans are invited to receive special recognition and to receive this special welcome home pin.
A History Channel Original
From Executive Producer Morgan Freeman
761st Tank Battalion: The Original Black Panthers
That’s the voice of Academy Award winning actor Morgan Freeman, the executive producer of the documentary 761ST TANK BATTALION: THE ORIGINAL BLACK PANTHERS. On this Veterans Day, you might want to learn about this unique World War Two battalion, whose slogan was, “Come Out Fighting.”
We can learn about the soldiers, known as the Original Black Panthers, who earned a Presidential Unit Citation for its actions, as well as Medal of Honors, Silver Stars, and Purple Hearts on the History Channel. By the way, Baseball Legend Jackie Robinson, was a First Lieutenant in the 761st. The historychannel.com website has viewer information.
Forest Lawn’s Live Veterans Day Celebration
Saturday, November 11, 2023, at 11:00a.m.
Outside the Hall of Liberty
Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills
6300 Forest Lawn Drive
Forest Lawn’s 64th annual Veterans Day Celebration will be an in-person event with a spectacular salute to the American armed forces. The event held outside the Hall of Liberty at Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills, on Saturday, November 11, 2023, at 11:00 AM, will honor members of the United States Military with a flyover, patriotic music, an invocation and benediction, a color guard, a wreath laying, family-friendly activities, and more.
Program highlights include:
- Keynote speech by Dr. David Smith of the United States Air Force
- Presidential proclamation by Alan Hamilton, Deputy Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department
- Music performances by the Los Angeles Police Concert Band and Tonality Choir
- Military flyover by the Condor Squadron
- Invocation and benediction by Monsignor Frank Hicks of St. Basil’s Catholic Church, Los Angeles
- Posting and Retiring of the Colors by the Los Angeles Police Department Honor Guard
- Honor Guard gun salute by the Los Angeles Police Department
- Master of Ceremonies, Michael Ellington, 36-year veteran of the Los Angeles Police Department
- Family-friendly activities and treats
Veterans Day at the Battleship Iowa Museum
250 South Harbor Boulevard
877 446 9261
The Battleship Iowa Museum in San Pedro offers a day full of events to celebrate our veterans.
- 11:00 AM: Ringing of the ship’s bell to signify the passing of the watch from the WWII generation to the next
- 1:00 PM: American Legion Post 61 leads a flag retirement ceremony on our fantail that will include four WWII veterans
- 12:00 PM – 5:00 PM: Food and fun for the whole family on the pier with a beer garden, bounce house obstacle course and race track, vehicles on display, and more
* 5:00 PM: Steel Beach Cigar Social
Veterans Day Concert @ 3pm
Southern California Brass Consortium
Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts
18000 Park Plaza Drive
562 916 8500
The Southern California Brass Consortium pay tribute to veterans at the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts with a special program featuring a variety of patriotic music. The cerritoscenter.com website has ticket information for this event that begins this afternoon at 3pm.
It’s Saturday, November 11th, 2023. It’s Veterans Day. Gayle Anderson, KTLA 5 News.