Gayle Anderson explores the new exhibition “Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds” at Skirball Cultural Center.
”More than fifty years ago, a television show called Star Trek broke ground with its daring vision—an inclusive cast of humans and interplanetary beings cooperating to overcome challenges as they explore the cosmos. With themes of heroism, optimism, equality, and humanity, the franchise has continued to pose questions about real life on Earth as much as in its fictional future worlds.
Encompassing more than a half-century of television series, spinoffs, and films, Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds sheds light on the enduring relevance of this pop-culture phenomenon. This fully immersive exhibition will showcase Star Trek’s significant impact on culture, art, and technology through more than one hundred rare artifacts, set pieces, and props, plus state-of-the-art photo and video interactives.
- Set pieces from Star Trek:The Original Series, including the navigation console.
- Artifacts and props from the various Star Trek TV series and films, including an original series tricorder, communicator, and phaser; a Borg cube from the film Star Trek: First Contact; a Klingon disruptor pistol from Star Trek: The Next Generation; and tribbles from Star Trek:The Original Series.
- Spock’s tunic worn by Leonard Nimoy; Lt. Uhura’s dress worn by Nichelle Nichols; Khan garments past and present, including the open-chest tunic worn by Ricardo Montalbán and the costume worn by Benedict Cumberbatch in the 2013 reboot; Captain Picard’s uniform worn by Patrick Stewart; plus, a Borg costume, the alien Gorn, and more.
- Original scripts, concept art, storyboards, and production drawings.
- Spaceship filming models of the USS Enterprise and USS Excelsior.”
Also, there are several important events associated with this new exhibition:
SPECIAL EVENTS!: For details about all of the special events below, please take a look at the center’s website.
Late Night! Star Trek
Friday, October 22, 6:00–11:00 pm
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Friday, October 29, 7:00 pm (doors at 5:30 pm)
The Best of Trek
Saturday–Sunday, November 6–7, 10:00 am–4:30 pm (doors at 9:00 am)
For the Love of Spock
Wednesday, December 8, 7:30 pm (doors at 5:30 pm)
Science Fiction Movie Discussion Group
Tuesdays, October 5 and 19, November 2 and 16, 7:30–9:00 pm (PT)
Star Trek: Inspiring Culture and Technology
A series of three self-guided online classes | Facilitated discussion: Tuesday, November 16, 7:00–8:00 pm (PT)
PLEASE NOTE! There are Covid-19 Safety Protocols! Please take a look at the skirball.org website.
If you have questions about the safety protocols, please call (310) 440-4500 (press 2). Monday–Friday, 8:00 am–5:00 pm (PT).
This aired on the KTLA 5 Morning News on Oct. 18, 2021.