It’s easy to make New Year’s resolutions, but much harder to keep them.
A new study from WalletHub suggests that where someone lives can be the difference between succeeding and dropping the ball when it comes to new year goals.
For example, suppose a city has a limited number of gyms or parks; in that case, residents may not feel inclined to work out, or if restaurants in the area only offer fast-food options, it can be harder to establish a healthy eating routine.
Researchers found four California cities were the best places to adhere to New Year resolution goals. San Francisco, Irvine, Fremont and San Diego all landed in the top 10.
The personal finance company determined the ranking based on 57 key metrics representing the most popular and commonly broken resolutions.
The factors were grouped into five categories: health, finances, school and work, bad habits, and relationship resolutions. The 180 cities included in the study each received a score for every group, with its overall score determining its ranking.
A score of 100 would represent the best city for New Year’s resolutions.
California Cities on the list
- 2nd: San Francisco: 67.15 points
- 6th: Irvine: 64.63 points
- 7th: Fremont: 64.49 points
- 8th: San Diego: 64.36
- 12th: San Jose: 63.19 points
- 18th: Huntington Beach: 61.57 points
- 42nd: Los Angeles: 57.27 points
- 44th: Sacramento: 57.21 points
- 59th: Oakland – 55.05 points
- 62nd: Santa Clarita- 54.91 points
- 63rd: Garden Grove – 54.88 points
- 68th: Oceanside -54.62 points
- 69th: Santa Rosa – 54.45 points
- 82nd: Chula Vista – 53.37 points
- 86th: Anaheim: 53.12 points
- 89th: Rancho Cucamonga – 52.87 points
- 96th: Glendale – 52.44 points
- 114th: Riverside – 51.33 points
- 115th: Long Beach – 51.31 points
- 116th: Modesto – 51.16 points
- 119th: Fresno – 50.60 points
- 123rd: Bakersfield – 50.16 points
- 128th: Santa Ana – 49.48 points
- 136th: Oxnard – 48.55 points
- 140th: Stockton – 48.41 points
- 153rd: Fontana – 46.73 points
- 157th: Moreno Valley – 45.96 points
- 162nd: Ontario – 45.68 points
- 175th: San Bernardino – 42.58 points
The best place city to reside if you’re hoping to complete a New Year’s resolution is Seattle, Washington, while the worst place was Newmark, New Jersey, according to the study.