Test results show that a 21-year-old Bishop woman who died last month after waking up from a nap was suffering from a brain-eating amoeba, public health officials said.
Inyo County Public Health officials believe the woman, whose name has not been released, contracted the infection on private property used by only friends and family. Residents in the area are not at risk, officials added.
“The investigation will continue, and all appropriate measures will be taken to involve and inform affected parties of any actions needing to be carried out to minimize any risk to persons in the future,” said Public Health Officer Richard Johnson.
Officials are working with the woman’s family and friends to investigate the source of her infection, Johnson said.
Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.