Recall: IKEA Wall Lamps Linked to Toddler’s Death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

IKEA is urging customers who purchased an IKEA SMILA wall mounted lamp to check immediately that the lamp and cord are out of reach of children and securely fastened to the wall.

IKEA is recalling a series of popular kids lamps over strangulation risk. (Credit: IKEA)

Loose lamp cords have been linked to the death of a 16-month-old child, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The child, who was in a crib, died after becoming entangled in the cord of a SMILA wall lamp, the agency reported. In a separate incident, a 15-month-old child in a crib was involved in a near strangulation when it became entangled in a lamp’s cord.

Both incidents happened in Europe.

There are eight different models involved in the recall: a blue star, a yellow moon, a pink flower, a white flower, a red heart, green bug, a blue seashell and an orange seahorse.

Customers are asked to contact customer service at (888) 966-4532 to receive a repair kit free of charge. The repair kit contains safety instructions and self-adhesive fasteners for attaching the lamp cord to the wall.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram


KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter