LOS ANGELES (KTLA) — A group of bug exterminators were in central Los Angeles to kill bugs, but they ended up saving a baby girl’s life.
LAPD detectives say somehow the 11 month old fell into a bucket filled with water outside of her home on Tuesday.
The girl’s dad was washing his car at his home near 42nd street and Central Avenue.
Neighbors said he took his eyes off his baby girl, and that’s when they think she fell into the bucket.
“We were getting ready to leave when heard a blood-curdling scream,” Iso Tech Pest Management specialist Gus James said.
“It was a loud scream. We didn’t even understand what the dad was saying,” fellow exterminator Clint Czarnota said.
“All we knew is that he came out with a baby hanging on his arm,” he said.
It was definitely not how Iso Tech pest exterminators Clint, Gus, and Mike Mora imagined their day going.
The Iso Tech pest control specialists thought their biggest problem was going to be clearing out the roaches at a building near 42nd street and Central.
“This baby was limp, like a rag doll,” Gus said.
The exterminators ran over to the father holding his unconscious daughter outside of his home.
The father told them that the baby fell into a bucket of water and wasn’t breathing.
“The dad was karate chopping her back while she was upside down, trying to get water out of her. I could tell he did not know CPR, or anything,” Gus said.
Thankfully, Gus knew what to do. He took the girl, opened her mouth, cleared her airway and began giving her rescue breaths.
“She was gurgling when I started, then the gurgles got a little louder and turned into cries,” Gus said.
Gus did it. He brought the girl back to life. Paramedics arrived a short while later and took the girl to the hospital.
The family told KTLA the girl is going to be all right.
The pest crew said they were just in the right place at the right time.
“It was a really intense situation. If everything didn’t happen, exactly the way it did happen, I’m not to sure what the outcome would’ve been, ” Mike said
Officers said this near-drowning is a warning for every parent to be extra cautious with their kids around water.
It also underlines the importance of knowing CPR because there might not always be someone around who does know how to perform it.