2 Big Rigs Collide on 210 Freeway in Pasadena; Lanes Closed for Hours

Local News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A collision involving two trucks forced the closure of eastbound lanes of the 210 Freeway in Pasadena on Thursday afternoon, leaving traffic backed up for miles and the Metro Gold Line shut down.

Workers tried to get the wreckage of the big rig off Metro tracks after a crash blocked the 210 Freeway for hours on April 24, 2014. (Credit: KTLA)

The eastbound freeway was closed east of Allen Avenue for several hours after a big rig carrying a tractor lost control near Hill Avenue just before 1 p.m.

Witnesses reported the big rig blew a tire, lost control and then collided with a box truck, California Highway Patrol Officer Kerri Rivas said.

The box truck hit the sound wall and then came to a stop on its side, while the big rig veered over the center median and hit a power pole, coming to a stop on the Metro Gold Line tracks, she said.

Three far-right lanes of the eastbound freeway reopened at about 4:15 p.m. One left lane remained closed as of 11 p.m.

Two people were transported from the scene, one with serious injuries and one with minor injuries, the Pasadena Fire Department stated on Twitter.

All eastbound lanes of the 210 Freeway in Pasadena were closed after two big rigs collided Thursday. (Credit: KTLA)

Aerial video showed one person lying on the freeway strapped to a stretcher, with firefighters standing above him or her.

The large box truck was on its side in lanes. What appeared to be the burned wreckage of the big rig remained on the Metro tracks and crews were working to get it removed as rush hour began.

The area was in “complete gridlock” and CHP urged motorists to stay away.

The westbound carpool lane was closed and CHP was shutting down the eastbound 134 Freeway transition to the eastbound 210, with all traffic being diverted to the westbound 210 Freeway, CHP Officer Patrick Kimball said shortly after the collision. The Allen Avenue on-ramp was being shut down, he said.

The Metro Gold Line was closed and parts of the tracks and the power system were damaged by the collision, Metro said on its blog. Repairs could take 24 hours, the agency stated.

The train runs between the two sides of the freeway.

Gold Line service was suspended indefinitely between Sierra Madre Villa and Lake Avenue and bus shuttles had been requested, according to Metro.

KTLA’s Rose Razeghi and Jennifer Thang contributed to this article.

[facebook url=”https://www.facebook.com/ktla5/posts/10152360424344614″]

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram


KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter