3 in Custody After Anaheim Police Pursuit of Stolen Car Ends in Fiery Crash

Local news

A police pursuit ended in a fiery crash in Anaheim on May 5, 2015. (Credit: Jeff McEwen)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

Three people were in custody Tuesday after a police pursuit of a stolen vehicle ended in a fiery crash that caused two secondary crashes Anaheim, authorities said.

The incident began about 11 a.m., when an officer spotted a stolen white Nissan Altima and began following it, according to Anaheim Police Department Sgt. Daron Wyatt said.

She called for backup and then tried to pull the vehicle over, but it took off.

Within a few hundred feet, the Altima ran a red light at South Beach Boulevard and Orange Avenue, colliding with a blue Ford Mustang.

The Mustang spun around and burst into flames, but the driver was not visibly injured, Wyatt said.

The stolen car careened into a light pole, coming to rest on the sidewalk with severe front-end damage.

"It was loud. It sounded like a bomb," witness Jeff McEwen said.

The male driver, another man and a woman got out of the stolen car and ran, but all were caught. Officers used a Taser on one of the men, Wyatt said.

All three were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

One of the men was identified as Ryan Nigel Shelton, 19, of Cypress, while the other two were only described as a male juvenile from Los Angeles and a female juvenile from Cypress. Police said one of the male occupants of the vehicle was the driver, but they did not say if it was Shelton or the unidentified juvenile.

A female officer who was driving one of the police vehicles in pursuit was also hospitalized as a precaution after a secondary minor collision, Wyatt said.

A third minor collision occurred in the intersection, police said.

No one was injured in any of the crashes.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News