Good Samaritans Who Stopped at Crash Site on 405 Freeway in Carson Killed in 2nd Collision; 2 ID’d

Local news
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Two of three men who were killed in a crash after getting out of their vehicles at the site of another collision on the 405 Freeway in Carson were identified Friday afternoon.

Three people were killed on the 405 Freeway in a crash in Carson on June 17, 2016. (Credit: OnScene.TV)
Three people were killed on the 405 Freeway in a crash in Carson on June 17, 2016. (Credit: OnScene.TV)

Phearin Ath, a 34-year-old Taiwanese man, and Richard Mau Le, a 31-year-old Asian man from Long Beach, were identified, a Los Angeles County coroner’s office representative said. The identity of a third victim, a white man in his 20s, was being withheld pending family notification.

The initial collision occurred about 1 a.m. on the northbound 405 Freeway near the South Wilmington Avenue off-ramp, according to the California Highway Patrol’s traffic incident website.

A Chevy Silverado pulling a trailer was struck by a Toyota Prius being driven by a suspected drunken driver, CHP Officer Yarbrough said.

The vehicles came to rest in the No. 1 and 2 lanes of the freeway, and the trailer came to a stop in the carpool lane, Yarbrough said.

An Uber driver not involved in the crash pulled over and a passenger in that vehicle got out to assist the people involved in the wreck, Yarbrough said.

That’s when another vehicle came upon the crash scene and struck the trailer in the carpool lane.

The trailer then careened into the Uber passenger and two other men who had gotten out of their vehicles following the initial crash, Yarbrough said.

All three men were killed, said Officer Francisco Villalobos with the CHP.

The driver believed to have caused the initial crash was hospitalized and then arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, Yarbrough said.

The entire northbound side of the 405 Freeway near the Wilmington off-ramp had to be shut down for more than 4 hours while authorities investigated the fatal crash, according to the CHP.

KTLA’s Geoff Peters and Melissa Pamer contributed to this report.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News