This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Four firefighters were injured Wednesday morning when the driver of a fire engine lost control of the vehicle after suffering a medical emergency and crashed into several parked cars in Valley Glen.

Four firefighters were injured in a crash in Valley Glen on March 30, 2016. (Credit: KTLA)
Four firefighters were injured in a crash in Valley Glen on March 30, 2016. (Credit: KTLA)

The firefighters were responding to another medical emergency call about 2 a.m. when the driver lost control near the intersection of Burbank Boulevard and Woodman Way, said Capt. Lillian Carranza with the Los Angeles Police Department.

The driver of the fire truck “experienced a medical emergency” and was unable to control the vehicle, said Capt. Daniel Curry of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The fire truck then crashed into five or six parked cars, which were unoccupied, and also knocked down power lines in the area, Carranza said.

Aerial video from Sky5 showed the fire truck traveled nearly four blocks, knocking down two power poles and several street signs, before coming to a stop.

As the passed out driver still had his foot on the accelerator, another firefighter was able to lean over and apply an emergency air brake lever on the dashboard, Capt. Andy Neiman with the Police Department said.

Four firefighters were injured in the crash, one of which was taken to the hospital in stable condition, Carranza said.

The fire truck driver was released from the hospital after about two hours and was expected to be OK.

Fire Department officials said it was unclear what caused the driver to pass out, but sources in the Police Department said it may have been food poisoning.

Power was knocked out in a six square block radius following the crash, Carranza said.

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power crews were called to the scene to restore power, which was expected to be out for several hours.

The intersection was closed as crews worked to clear the scene.