Man Arrested After Deadly Downtown L.A. Shooting, Police Chase Ending in Westside Standoff

Local news
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
An allegedly armed suspect in a deadly downtown Los Angeles shooting and police chase was taken into custody Tuesday morning after being barricaded inside a Westside home for several hours, authorities said. The man was apparently still inside the residence as officers remained at the scene around 6 a.m. on Tuesday. Authorities confirmed about 30 minutes later he had been arrested. One person has been confirmed dead and another wounded in the downtown Los Angeles shooting that led to the pursuit and standoff, authorities said. Neither victims nor the suspect have been identified by police. Officers heard shots fired near Maple Avenue and 6th Street just after midnight and saw the suspect behind the wheel of a black sedan speeding away from the area, according to police. They began chasing the vehicle while others investigated the scene, where a shooting victim was found. The victim was taken to a nearby hospital but later pronounced dead, authorities said. Meanwhile, the chase wound through parts of downtown into South L.A. before continuing westbound onto the 105 Freeway and then northbound on the 405, according to police. It moved onto the 90 Freeway before exiting in the Culver City area. The pursuit suspect allegedly hit a parked vehicle and then fled the scene on foot. Authorities said a passenger suffering from at least one gunshot wound was found inside the abandoned vehicle while the suspect ran into a home near Braddock Drive and Sawtelle Boulevard in Del Rey. That second victim has been listed in stable condition. Los Angeles Police Department officials have said the suspect does not know anyone at the home he ran into. At least three residents were inside but managed to get out of the home while some nearby residences were also evacuated, according to police. The suspect remained barricaded inside until he was taken into custody about five hours later.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News