This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A man suspected of killing his estranged wife in Santa Maria and then abducting their 9-year-old son — before an Amber Alert was sent Tuesday — was shot and killed by officers in Encino, authorities said at a Tuesday night press conference.

Konstantin and Daniel Morozov are seen in photos distributed by CHP on Aug. 22, 2017.
Konstantin and Daniel Morozov are seen in photos distributed by CHP on Aug. 22, 2017.

The boy, Daniel Morozov, was “safely located” on Tuesday evening, the California Highway Patrol tweeted. His father, Konstantin Morozov, 48, was suspected of abducting him and named a “person of interest” in the killing of his mother, according to Santa Maria police.

Konstantin Morozov died after being shot in the 5500 block of Lindley Avenue in Encino, authorities said. FBI officials and officers from the Santa Maria and Los Angeles police departments saw him coming out of an apartment there, authorities said.

They had put surveillance on the location after receiving information he would be there, Detective Andrew Brice of the Santa Maria Police Department said at a press conference.

The scene of a fatal shooting in Encino that may be connected to an Amber Alert issued for a 9-year-old boy is seen here on Aug. 22, 2017. (Credit: KTLA)
The scene of the fatal shooting in Encino that left Konstantin Morozov dead on Aug. 22, 2017. (Credit: KTLA)

Morozov “confronted the officers and an officer-involved shooting did occur,” LAPD Deputy Chief Justin Eisenberg said at a press conference.

Morozov initially suffered from critical injuries after being shot and later died at a hospital, Officer Mike Lopez of the LAPD said.

Eisenberg said no one else was injured in the shooting and the child is now in the custody of the Department of Children and Family Services.

“All our officers are okay,” he said. “And this young child who was caught up in this horrific situation is OK.”

KTLA’s Nidia Becerra contributed to this article.