This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A 1-year-old boy who was the subject of a statewide Amber Alert was found safe on Monday evening in Tijuana by U.S. Marshals. The boy’s father, Giovany Santiago-Enriquez, was also taken into custody by Marshals in Tijuana on suspicion of attempted murder and child abduction, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

The boy’s mother received the news that her son was safe around 8:30 p.m. She immediately went to the police station to find out when she could get her son back.

“Once I have my baby in my arms, everything else can slowly fix itself,” a tearful Christy Martinez said.

The Amber Alert was issued Monday after Jayden Nathaniel Santiago was abducted in San Pedro following a violent early morning altercation involving his parents.

Jayden Nathaniel Santiago was the subject of an Amber Alert on March 9, 2015.
Jayden Nathaniel Santiago was the subject of an Amber Alert on March 9, 2015.

The child was believed to be traveling with his 37-year-old father, according to the California Highway Patrol. In a Facebook post, CHP stated that the child was “taken by dad after San Pedro stabbing.”

Santiago-Enriquez allegedly went to his ex-girlfriend’s house in the 500 block of West 15th Street and stabbed her new boyfriend, according to CHP.

The boy’s uncle heard the confrontation, saying he first thought his sister was fighting with her new boyfriend.

Giovany Santiago-Enriquez is shown in a photo distributed by CHP on March 9, 2015.
Giovany Santiago-Enriquez is shown in a photo distributed by CHP on March 9, 2015.

“He walked back in the room and I just hear screaming, screaming, screaming,” said Octavio Colin. “I jumped out of my bed and went straight to the room. … It was another guy standing over him.”

Santiago-Enriquez sliced his child’s mother in the arm, and injured Colin as well, Colin said. The new boyfriend’s lung was punctured and he was hospitalized, Colin said.

Martinez described the attack as like something out of a movie.

She said Santiago-Enriquez was yelling, “die, die, die” as he stabbed her.

Colin tried to stop Santiago-Enriquez from leaving, but was unsuccessful, according to a news release from the LAPD.

Santiago-Enriquez threw the knife out the car window before driving away. It was later recovered by police.

Santiago-Enriquez then allegedly went to his home in Long Beach, took his son and fled, according to the LAPD release.

According to the LAPD, Santiago-Enriquez shares legal custody of the boy with Martinez.

The boy was staying with his father overnight, Colin said.

Colin and the child’s mother believed the boy was in Santiago-Enriquez’s car at the time of the stabbing, but that had not been confirmed by authorities.

The couple decided not to go to court to make custody arrangements for their son and had instead been trying to work it out themselves, Martinez said.

Martinez was on her way to Mexico on Monday night to pick up her son.

The Amber Alert stated the abduction occurred at 1:30 a.m. Monday in San Pedro. An emergency message about the alert was sent to cellphones around 3:35 p.m.

More videos: