After another pickax attack forced the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to have Donald Trump’s Walk of Fame star replaced for the second time in two years, the group issued a statement discouraging any future acts of vandalism.
“When people are angry with one of our honorees, we would hope that they would project their anger in more positive ways than to vandalize a California State landmark,” said the news release from the nonprofit, which was in charge of administering the stars.
“Our democracy is based on respect for the law,” the message continued. “People can make a real difference by voting and not destroying public property.”
Trump’s star has been defaced several times since he ran in the 2016 presidential election.
A swastika was spray-painted on it in February 2016. A month before the reality TV personality won the presidency, a Beverly Hills man struck the sidewalk attraction with a sledgehammer. A Glendale resident took similar action this July.
The next month, the West Hollywood City Council took a symbolic vote for the star’s removal.
“When one belittles and attacks minorities, immigrants, Muslims, people with disabilities or women — the honor no longer exists,” Mayor John Duran told CNN.
The Chamber Commerce has previously said that each star put in place was intended to be permanent.
Saturday’s statement reiterated that sentiment.
“The Hollywood Walk of Fame is a historic landmark which celebrates the professional contributions of the inductees,” said Leron Gubler, the group’s president and CEO. “The stars once installed, are considered part of the historic fabric of the Walk.”