This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A police pursuit of an assault with a deadly weapon suspect turned into a lengthy standoff after the driver tried to escape across an embankment and got stuck in Woodland Hills Thursday afternoon.

Officers initiated the pursuit of an assault with a deadly weapon suspect at about 5 p.m., said Officer Tony Im, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles Police Department.

Sky5 arrived above the chase just before 5:30 p.m., as the black sedan was speeding across several lanes of traffic in the area of Topanga Canyon Boulevard.

Moments later, the driver reached a dead end in the form of a fenced-in cul-de-sac, but drove the vehicle straight through the fencing.

The car tried to continue forward through a soft dirt lot but became stuck in an embankment along Ventura Boulevard in Woodland Hills, near the intersection with Royer Avenue.

The driver remained in the car and appeared to be attempting to communicate via phone.

At least eight police cars were stationed on Ventura Boulevard, with officers out of their vehicles and some aiming guns at the suspect’s car.

The standoff ensued for about three hours. Police eventually prodded the driver from his vehicle using some sort of long pole.

Speaking at the scene, LAPD Cmdr. Alan Hamilton said he was “not going to get into” the tactics used to force the suspect from his vehicle.

When he got out of the car, the man was armed with a knife and tried to run up hill, according to Hamilton.

Hamilton said the man appeared to be under the influence of some type of narcotic and was “acting fairly irrational.”

Officers were stationed at both the top and bottom of the hill. After a “use of force” by the officers atop the hill, the suspect was taken into custody near the bottom of the hill with the assistance of a K-9 unit, Hamilton said.

The suspect suffered minor injuries and was taken to the Northridge Hospital for treatment. Officials expected to verify his identity following his release later Thursday night.

He would be booked on suspicion “various felony charges” including assault with a deadly weapon and violating a restraining order, Hamilton said.