Driver Detained After Pursuit Ends in Crash in San Fernando Valley

Local news
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A vehicle being pursued by authorities collided with other cars in a Valley Village intersection Wednesday night.

The driver was wanted on an armed carjacking warrant and considered armed and dangerous, said Los Angeles Police Department Spokesperson Josh Rubenstein.

Investigators noticed the car was associated with the warrant and began monitoring it around 5:30 p.m. in the area of San Fernando Road and Montague Street in Pacoima, LAPD Officer Tony Im said.

The driver could be seen reaching under his seat, according to Im.

After tracking the Toyota Prius for hours, police began pursuing it around 9:15 p.m., Rubenstein said.

The chase reached high speeds and ended after about five minutes in a three-car crash at the corner of Colfax Avenue and Riverside Drive.

The suspect’s Prius blasted through the intersection heading south and clipped the front end of one sedan. That caused it to spin out into the front end of a second sedan heading the opposite direction, aerial video showed.

Several people were hurt, but none suffered major injuries, according to Rubenstein.

Roughly seven people were involved, with the second car hit carrying up to five people and one in each of the other two, Rubenstein said.

Women and children were seen fleeing from the second car, and a woman carrying a child was later seen loaded into the back of an ambulance.

Rubenstein said he could confirm one child was transported with a “relatively minor” injury but he was unsure how many people total were taken for treatment.

Investigators are also working to determine whether the suspect was in fact armed.

The suspect, a man in his 30s, was handcuffed and loaded into the back of a police car.

Rubenstein said no information was available Wednesday night on when or where the carjacking he’s accused in occurred.

The intersection was expected to be closed for some time while authorities cleared the scene.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News