Responding to activists who have called for the removal of the Walk of Fame stars of Donald Trump and Bill Cosby, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce in a statement Thursday declared that it has no intention of removing the sidewalk landmarks honoring the controversial figures.
“The answer is no,” said Leron Gubler, president and CEO of the chamber, referring to the inquiries.
Noting that the Walk of Fame is a registered historic landmark, Gubler stated that “once a star has been added to the Walk, it is considered a part of the historic fabric of the Walk of Fame.”
“Because of this, we have never removed a star from the Walk,” he said.
Among those who want Cosby’s star removed are Earl Ofari Hutchinson, of the Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable, and Najee Ali, of Project Islamic Hope, the Los Angeles Times reported.
“Drugging and rape are serious crimes and having a star on the walk honoring Cosby after his admissions of these acts is a gross slap at the industry and the public,” the activists wrote in a letter to the chamber.
In its statement, the organization said the Walk of Fame Committee’s longtime former chairman, the late Johnny Grant, was previously asked about the removal of the iconic stars.
In response, Grant, the so-called “Mayor of Hollywood,” said: “Stars are awarded for professional achievement to the world of entertainment and contributions to the community. A celebrity’s politics, philosophy, irrational behavior, outrageous remarks or anything like that have never been cause to remove a Walk of Fame star.”
Trump touched off controversy last month when, during a speech announcing his presidential bid, he referred to immigrants from Mexico and other countries as “killers and rapists.”
NBC, Macy’s and Univision subsequently severed ties with the outspoken billionaire.
He is scheduled to speak Friday at a Brentwood-area dinner hosted by Friends of Abe, a conservative group comprised of Hollywood entertainers and moguls, L.A. Weekly reported.