Body Found After Shootout Between Suspects and Deputies in Compton; 1 Detained Following Pursuit

Local News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
A man was found dead on a street in Compton following a shootout and pursuit that ended with deputies taking one person into custody in Inglewood late Wednesday night. The events began about 11:20 p.m. when deputies tried to stop a suspected reckless DUI driver in a black Cadillac Escalade near the intersection of Rosecrans and Oleander avenues in Compton, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Lt. Derrick Alfred said. Deputies followed the vehicle into a residential area where “the occupants of the Escalade opened fire with what we believe to be an assault rifle,” he said. Deputies returned fire near Aranbe Avenue and Spruce Street as the chase continued in a loop around the neighborhood, Alfred said. The pursuit then continued onto the 405 Freeway and eventually into Inglewood. Investigators would later find the body of a man believed to be in his 60s near the shooting scene in Compton. The identity of the man has not been released. “We’re trying to determine if it’s related to the pursuit. If it was a person that was caught in the crossfire or had been murdered prior and the vehicle was fleeing,” Alfred said. The victim appeared to have been shot multiple times, a news release from the Sheriff’s Department stated. More shots were fired out of the Escalade as the pursuit continued on the 105 Freeway, Deputy Erin Liu said. During this shooting incident, the suspects opened fire at a Sheriff’s Department helicopter. Authorities initially said the suspect missed the helicopter, but later stated that the helicopter was possibly struck. Some deputies also sustained minor injuries during the ordeal, according to a tweet from Sheriff Alex Villanueva. The sheriff also shared images of bullet-ridden patrol vehicles. The pursuit finally came to an end when the Escalade was abandoned and the suspects fled on foot near the intersection of Ash Avenue and Queen Street in Inglewood. Authorities were able to take one person into custody but believe at least one other suspect is still outstanding, according to the news release. A deputy was struck by gunfire during the incident and suffered a graze wound, Alfred said. The deputy was treated and released. The rifle used in the incident was not recovered from the Escalade. The investigation into the shooting is ongoing, the Sheriff’s Department stated. Anyone with information was asked to contact authorities at 323-890-5500. Those who prefer to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram


KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter