Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles said it has discovered that four patients were infected with a deadly superbug from a contaminated medical scope and 71 more people may have been exposed.
The hospital said Wednesday it began investigating the possibility of patient infections after a similar outbreak at UCLA’s Ronald Reagan Medical Center. In that outbreak, five people became infected and two died after being treated with scopes carrying CRE bacteria.
Patients at Cedars-Sinai may have been exposed to the lethal superbug from one Olympus Corp. duodenoscope in use from August 2014 to mid-February, according to the hospital.
Cedars-Sinai said one of the four infected patients has died, but it was unrelated to a CRE infection.
Click here to read the full story at LATimes.com.