A Turlock man is one of four American tourists to have died at a resort in the Dominican Republic in the last several months, and his family says his decline in health began after drinking alcohol from the minibar in his hotel room.
Bob Wallace had been in the island country for a family wedding, but by the time of the actual festivities, the adventure-loving 67-year-old man was hospitalized and too sick to participate.
"We didn't find out until the next morning that he had passed, which is another weird thing,” Tommy Tickenhoff, Wallace’s son-in-law, told KTLA sister station KTXL in Sacramento on Monday. “My mom and brother had been in touch with the hospital and they didn't reach out and tell us any answers until the next morning."
Thirty members of the family took off for the Dominican Republic to be in place for Tickenoff’s wedding on April 14.
A bottle of scotch from the minibar in his room at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Punta Cana seems to be where Wallace's decline started.
"It was kind of really a quick turn of events after that that ended in his death,” Tickenoff told FOX40.
Thousands of miles from home, Wallace became the first of four American tourists to die while vacationing at Dominican resorts.
"We don't want to jump to conclusions, but it seems like the embassy, sounds like now the FBI, is involved," Tickenhoff said.
For a man who spent much of his life building Turlock apartments and condominiums through his business, Wallace Construction, the family Wallace built is intent on finding the truth.
“It's tough. I mean, you're in the process of grieving a family member and then all these other instances come out where it just kind of adds to the pain of not knowing what happened,” Wallace’s son-in-law said.
He said Dominican authorities told the family to expect Wallace's toxicology reports in eight to 10 weeks -- possibly by the end of June, based on the timeline.
Wallace's loved ones are planning a private memorial for him on June 29.