Chief Beck Faults Officers in Killing of Unarmed Veteran After Televised Corvette Pursuit

Local News

Police surrounded a silver Corvette in downtown Los Angeles after a lengthy pursuit. The driver was fatally shot when he exited the vehicle on Dec. 13, 2013. (Credit: KTLA)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Three Los Angeles police officers violated department rules for using deadly force when they fatally shot an unarmed man following a high-speed chase last year, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck has found.

Beck rejected the officers’ claims that they opened fire because they feared that their lives were in danger.

Police surrounded a silver Corvette in downtown Los Angeles after a lengthy pursuit. The driver was fatally shot when he exited the vehicle on Dec. 13, 2013. (Credit: KTLA)
Police surrounded a silver Corvette in downtown Los Angeles after a lengthy pursuit. The driver was fatally shot when he exited the vehicle on Dec. 13, 2013. (Credit: KTLA)

“The preponderance of the evidence does not independently support [the officers’] perceptions that a deadly threat was present,” Beck wrote in a recently released report. The Dec. 13, 2013, shooting drew national attention after local news programs televised it live.

The suspect, Brian Newt Beaird, had turned and was moving away from officers when the three opened fire, according to the video footage.

FULL COVERAGE: Corvette Pursuits Ends in Fatal Police Shooting Live on TV

bill beaird
Bill Beaird said he watched on live television as his son was fatally shot by police officers responding to a pursuit. (Credit: KTLA)

Beaird was hit by 15 shots. The three bullets that mostly likely killed Beaird, a 51-year-old National Guard veteran, struck him from behind, the report said.

Click here to read the full story at LATimes.com.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram

Instagram

KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter