This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Chino Hills father was able to apprehend a group of men who allegedly entered his residence Monday afternoon while he was home with his wife and children.

Yan Zhang of Chino Hills was at home with his wife and children when five people tried to enter the house through a balcony in the back. (Credit: WeChat via CNN)

Just after 1 p.m., four men between 18 and 20 years old and one juvenile entered the Zhang family’s home in the 13000 block of Gemstone Court via a balcony off the Zhang family’s back yard, San Bernardino sheriff’s officials said in a statement.

As the suspects attempted to enter the home through an upstairs door, Yan Zhang grabbed his handgun and confronted them, the agency said.

“They were home and then several kids kind of tried to pry the door open, tried to get in,” neighbor Tony Tran told KTLA. “(Zhang) got a gun so he fired a warning shot and was able to apprehend them until the police showed up.”

The father held the group at gunpoint while his wife sheltered the children, and a neighbor called 911, according to deputies.

Pictures Tran said were posted by Zhang on Chinese social media appear to show the suspects down on the ground as the family waited for authorities to arrive.

Authorities made several arrests in connection with the incident. (Credit: WeChat via CNN)

Two of the five suspects were able to flee, but neighbors assisted deputies in locating them, officials said.

Roberto Alonso Salmon, 18; Garret Rogers, 19; Ruben Medivil, 19; Joaquin Leonardo Salmon Garcia, 20; and a 17-year-old boy were all arrested on suspicion of attempted burglary.

“It was a relief because that particular time there was more than just him at home,” Tran said.

Rogers, Medivil, Salmon and the 17-year-old — whose name was not released due to his age — reside in Chino, while Garcia lives in Chino Hills.

The four adults were booked into West Valley Detention Center, and the juvenile was cited and released to his parents, deputies said.