High-Speed Chase Ends in Canoga Park After Officers Find Driver at Tire Shop

Local news
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Officers took a person into custody who was suspected of leading California Highway Patrol on a high-speed chase that started in Moorpark and ended outside a tire shop in Canoga Park Tuesday afternoon.

Officers take a suspected pursuit driver into custody outside an America's Tire location in Canoga Park on Jan. 28, 2020. (Credit: KTLA)
Officers take a suspected pursuit driver into custody outside an America’s Tire location in Canoga Park on Jan. 28, 2020. (Credit: KTLA)

Sky5 was overhead as a black sedan reached the Chatsworth area by 1:15 p.m., where the motorist was driving along surface streets after leading CHP officers on a chase along the 118 Freeway. Officers initially tried pulling the driver for speeding, CHP Officer Jose Barrios said.

Just before 1:30 p.m., moments after Sky5 lost sight of the chase and law enforcement were apparently no longer trailing the sedan, CHP patrol vehicles drove up to an America’s Tire location in Canoga Park.

Six patrol cars surrounded the driver who appeared to have been in the vehicle involved in the pursuit, and within minutes, an officer was seen placing that person in handcuffs, aerial video showed.

Barrios said earlier that authorities had to cancel the chase because of the high speeds involved: “This is where it gets very dangerous,” he said.

The black sedan shifted in and out of lanes as it sped along the eastbound 118 Freeway, Sky5 footage shows. The driver at some point exited the freeway and then got onto the westbound freeway.

Continuing to speed along the 118, the car at times drove in the right shoulder and later exited off the highway in Chatsworth. There, the driver stopped illegally in driving lanes, and CHP vehicles drove up and parked directly across from the sedan, aerial video showed.

It appeared as though the chase was coming to an end.

Officers inside two patrol vehicles got out and had their guns drawn on the pursuit driver. They were joined by another four patrol cars, which were each parked side-by-side.

But the motorist suddenly began driving again.

By 1:11 p.m., the driver continued along surface streets in the Chatsworth area when the car started getting stuck in traffic. Sky5 briefly lost sight of the car and, apparently, so did law enforcement.

There were no patrol vehicles near the pursuit driver when Sky5 spotted the car outside a tire shop. Within minutes, CHP officers arrived to the Canoga Park location and led the person away in handcuffs.

No further details about the incident have been released.

Correction: A previous version of this story gave an incorrect location for where the pursuit ended. The post has since been updated.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News