Disney celebrated the official groundbreaking of the new Star Wars-themed land in Disneyland on Thursday by releasing a 360-degree image of the construction site.
Work on the project finally got underway after Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Co., announced plans for the “jaw-dropping new world” last August at D23 Expo 2015.
A 360-degree image released Thursday morning shows the sparse and barren construction site at the popular theme park in Anaheim.
In order to spark the imagination and give fans a preview of what is to come, the picture was digitally edited to include Stormtroopers, X-wing fighters, walkers, R2-D2 and — if you look carefully — BB-8 and the Millennium Falcon.
[protected-iframe id=”e351aa34d64ceca931b61bc9e5aaac5c-41641936-58900479″ info=”https://embed.littlstar.com/photos/1a4a2dc9″ width=”640px” height=”360px” frameborder=”0″ class=”lsplayer-frame”]
The 14-acre project is being built behind Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, in the area of the old Big Thunder Ranch, which was permanently closed back in January to make room for the new land.
Ten attractions and eateries have been closed — some permanently, others temporarily — as a result of the construction.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida is also undergoing a similar expansion.
Exact details have not been released about Star Wars land, but Disney officials previously said it will feature two signature attractions: one will offer a “thrilling battle experience”; the other puts guests behind the controls of the Millennium Falcon.
“In these all-new lands, guests will be transported to a never-before-seen planet inhabited by humanoids, droids and many others,” Disney wrote on its blog. “Star Wars-themed lands will be the largest-ever single-themed land expansions at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort.”
Disney has not said when the new lands at either theme park will open to the public.