DNA evidence has confirmed that a 20-year-old Lancaster man shot dead during the armed robbery of a Torrance jewelry store was the individual who had killed an Apple Valley couple in their 90s and committed a string of other crimes, investigators said Wednesday.
Keon Bailey was released from state prison Feb. 18. In the ensuing three weeks, he went on a crime spree that culminated in his death on March 8 at Leilani’s Jeweler’s in Torrance, according to a news release from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.
Results from tests at a regional crime lab on Wednesday confirmed that Bailey was the “sole suspect responsible” in the killings of Louis Giuntini, 95, and his wife Rose Giuntini, 92, who were found slain in their Apple Valley home on Feb. 28.
Investigators on March 9 served a search warrant at a home where Bailey had been staying in Apple Valley. There, they found clothing that he was seen wearing during the Feb. 28 robbery of a doughnut store, a crime that occurred near the Giuntinis’ home and just after they were killed.
The clothing had DNA evidence from the victims on it, according to the news release.
The Sheriff’s Department listed the following Apple Valley crimes for which Bailey was described as the “sole suspect”:
- Feb. 21: the burglary of a home in the 15700 block of Tuscola Road from which a handgun was stolen that was used in the Feb. 28 doughnut store robbery, and in the attempted robbery of the March 8 jewelry story in Torrance;
- Feb. 28 between 8:30 and 10:30 a.m.: the robbery and killing of Louis and Rose Giuntini in their home in the 19900 block of outer Highway 18;
- Feb. 28 at 10:55 a.m.: the robbery of Neil’s Donuts in the 18100 block of Highway 18, during which time a shot was fired from the handgun stolen in the Feb. 21 burglary;
- March 6 at 11:30 a.m.: a home-invasion robbery in the 15600 block of Myalon Road.
He allegedly also robbed a Long Beach floral shop on March 3, in addition to the attempted robbery at the Torrance jewelry store.
The Los Angeles Police Department has provided San Bernardino County investigators with information on other crimes possibly committed by Bailey in L.A.
The suspect regularly searched news sites and social media outlets for any information on his possible involvement in the murders and robberies in Apple Valley, the sheriff’s news release stated.
Bailey was first named as a person of interest in the Giuntinis’ deaths on March 10.
He had previously committed burglary, rape, sexual battery, grand theft and trespassing, the Sheriff’s Department said in March.