A dog in Lake Matthews is in a veterinarian hospital after it was caught in a bee swarm earlier this week.
While doing some yard work, a homeowner nearby discovered the hive and attempted to remove it himself. However, after a short time, the situation got out of hand.
Part of the swarm headed for the house where Chance, a pit bull and mastiff mix, lives. The dog was stung more than 700 times and had to receive a blood transfusion after being rushed to the vet.
Just last week in Encino, a volunteer with the Los Angeles Police Department, who was directing traffic after a swarm of bees prompted road closures in the neighborhood, was stung 50-100 times. During the attack, the volunteer took a hard fall in the street and broke several bones in his face.
He was treated with anti-venom and remained in the hospital for several days.
As for Chance, his condition remains unclear.