More than 30 museums in Southern California, most of them in the Los Angeles area, will be offering free admission on Jan. 29 as part of the 12th annual Museums Free-For-All Day.
Participants in this year’s event include the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Descanso Gardens and the Petersen Automotive Museum.
Some of the participating institutions, including notable ones like the Getty Center, Getty Villa, and the Broad, are already free to visitors.
The Jan. 29 offer only applies to general admission, and is not good on specially ticketed exhibits, according to SoCal Museums. Regular parking rates will also remain in effect that Sunday.
Some museums also require timed tickets that must be reserved in advance.
Visitors are encouraged to check each participating museum’s website for further details, including hours, directions and other information.
Here’s a list of the participating museums (all dates are for Jan. 29 unless otherwise indicated):
- Annenberg Space for Photography
- Armory Center for the Arts
- Autry Museum of the American West
- The Broad
- California African American Museum
- California Science Center (Timed reservation with convenience free required to visit Space Shuttle Endeavor exhibit)
- Columbia Memorial Space Center (Sat., Jan. 28)
- Craft & Folk Art Museum
- Descanso Gardens (Timed tickets available on first-come, first served basis at descansogardens.org)
- Fowler Museum at UCLA
- Frederick R. Weisman Museum of Art at Pepperdine
- Getty Center
- Getty Villa (Timed tickets can be reserved by visiting getty.edu)
- Hammer Museum
- Japanese American Museum
- Kidspace Children’s Museum
- Laguna Art Museum
- La Brea Tar Pits and Museum (Free tickets can be reserved at tarpits.org/freeforall)
- La Plaza de Cultura y Artes
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles
- Museum of Tolerance
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (Free tickets can be reserved at nhm.org/freeforall)
- Orange County Museum of Art
- The Paley Center for Media
- Pasadena Museum of California Art
- Petersen Automotive Museum (Free tickets can be reserved here)
- Pomona College Museum of Art
- Santa Barbara Museum of Art
- Skirball Cultural Center
- Sunnylands Center and Gardens
- Zimmer Children’s Museum