Driver Suspected of Blaring ‘Extremely Loud’ Air Horn, Waking El Segundo Residents, Is Arrested: Police

Local news
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A man suspected of blowing an “extremely loud” air horn in El Segundo on multiple occasions has been arrested, police announced Monday.

John W. Nuggent is seen in a booking photo released by the El Segundo Police Department.
John W. Nuggent is seen in a booking photo released by the El Segundo Police Department.

In the latest incident, around 4 a.m. Sunday, officers heard the blare of the actuated air horn — which is similar to a train horn — on El Segundo’s west side, police said in a statement posted to Facebook.

“There have been numerous reports of similar occurrences over the past several weeks involving a blue 4-door compact vehicle driven by a male white adult,” the statement read.

A short time after the pre-dawn incident on Sunday, officers pulled over a blue four-door 2006 Chevrolet Aveo in the area of Grand Avenue and Main Street, according to the statement.

Police searched the vehicle and found air horn equipment inside, authorities said.

Several El Segundo residents who heard the piercing air horn noise responded to the scene and initiated a citizen’s arrest of the driver, identified as John W. Nuggent.

As the department explained in a comment beneath the post, on-duty officers cannot be victims of a “disturbing the peace” incident, which is why they got other residents who had been victimized by the noise involved.

Nuggent was taken to the El Segundo jail, where he was booked, according to the statement. The Chevrolet was impounded.

The arrest was met with widespread praise on the El Segundo Police Department’s Facebook page.

“They found the air horn guy!!” Jenn Birch commented beneath the post.

“I’m glad you got him. I’m sick of hearing that horn blaring in front of my house,” wrote April Teets Bucknell. 

Another woman, Jennifer Phan, tagged a friend in the post to let them know police had caught the “idiot … waking us up.”

The maximum penalties for a disturbing the peace conviction include up to 90 days in county jail or a fine up to $400, or both, according to police.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News