This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Shane Kent is seen at his arraignment on Thursday, May 14, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)
Shane Kent is seen at his arraignment on Thursday, May 14, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

A teacher at an elementary school in Corona accused of inappropriately touching one of his female students earlier this year pleaded not guilty in court Thursday.

Shane Kent was arrested in February on suspicion of lewd or lascivious acts with a child under age 14, according to court documents.

“We think the children or the child who initially started the allegation had ulterior motives,” Kent’s attorney David Wohl said outside the courthouse following Thursday’s arraignment.

Shane Kent is seen in a photo provided by the Corona Police Department.
Shane Kent is seen in a photo provided by the Corona Police Department.

During the discovery process,Wohl said four other children came forward with similar allegations against Kent.

The 55-year-old teacher maintains his innocence, however.

“I am innocent of all of these allegations and I know that innocence will come out in the end. I have a good attorney and I know that the truth will come out, and I am an innocent man,” Kent said outside the courthouse.

Kent, a sixth-grade teacher at Orange Elementary School (map), has been placed on administrative leave, the Press Enterprise reported.

He was scheduled to return to court on July 10.