This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The family of a 14-year-old boy who was found dead in the street after being struck by two hit-and-run drivers in February announced a wrongful death lawsuit Wednesday against one of the drivers, as well as the city and county of Ventura.

Jon Hernandez is seen in a family photo posted to a GoFundMe page.
Jon Hernandez is seen in a family photo posted to a GoFundMe page.

Jonathan Hernandez was riding his bike near the intersection of Telegraph Road and Saticoy Avenue in Ventura just after midnight on Feb. 19 when he was struck by a tow truck being driven by Martin Henderson, the Ventura Police Department announced in a news release following the crash.

Investigators said Hernandez had crossed Telegraph Road against a red light when he was struck by Henderson’s tow truck, which had a green light as it entered the intersection.

As the teenager was still lying in the road, he was run over by a second vehicle.

Neither vehicle stopped to help Hernandez after hitting him, and the driver of the second vehicle has not been identified.

Family members stood with their attorney as they announced the lawsuit at Ventura City Hall.

“Please, if anyone knows anything, please come forward,” said the victim’s mother, Joanna Hernandez, as she tried to hold back sobs. “If you were a mother that lost a child, then you would understand the hurt and the pain.”

The family attorney, Sean Andrade, said the tow-truck driver has contracts with the city and the county, and he questioned why the Ventura County District Attorney’s Office has not charged Henderson.

“In light of Henderson’s close business relationships with the police department, city and county, and their inaction since Henderson killed Jonathan on February 19, 2016, the family has decided to move forward with this action,” stated a news release announcing the lawsuit.

The DA’s office said in a statement that the case is still under review, and the office is working with Ventura police to get the information needed to make a decision on filing charges.

KTLA’s Melissa Pamer contributed to this article.