Father Charged With Murder in Deaths of 3 Young Sons Found in SUV in South L.A.

A man suspected of fatally stabbing his young sons and then harming himself inside an SUV parked on a South Los Angeles street was charged with three counts of murder Tuesday.

The three slain sons of Luiz Fuentes are shown in photos at a vigil on the day the boys were found dead, Sept. 9, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

Luiz Fuentes, 33, was found with stab wounds inside a vehicle parked on East 32nd Street around sunrise Sept. 9. His sons were dead in the back seat, also stabbed.

The boys were identified as Luis Alfanso Fuentes, 10; Juan Daniel Fuentes, 9; and Alexander Fuentes, 8.

The elder Fuentes was treated at a hospital and then arrested. He was taken into police custody Friday afternoon, and was being held on $3 million bail at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility in downtown Los Angeles, jail records showed.

The criminal complaint against Fuentes states he used a knife. No prior convictions are listed on the document.

The boys’ biological mother died in 2008 of a brain aneurysm, leaving Fuentes depressed, the boys’ former day-care provider told the Los Angeles Times. There were multiple calls to the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services regarding alleged abuse in the family, and the department has launched an investigation into whether the calls were properly handled, the Times reported.

Fuentes and his sons had lived with the boys’ stepmother until recently, a family member said. But at the time of the deaths, Fuentes was unemployed, and he his three sons were living in the SUV, a local pastor told KTLA.

The day-care provider, Marisela Nuño, and her husband had offered to help the family, she said, but Fuentes told them they had a place to stay.

“He was a very proud man,” Nuño told the Times. “He didn’t want to ask for help.”

A GoFundMe page set up by the cousin to pay for funeral expenses had raised more than $37,000 by Tuesday.

Fuentes’ first name had previously been provided as “Luis” by a cousin; the criminal complaint and jail records indicated it was Luiz.