Firefighters May Have Been Exposed to Hepatitis A While Battling Blaze at Homeless Encampment in San Diego County

Local news
Nearly a dozen firefighters may have been exposed to hepatitis A while battling a vegetation fire at a homeless encampment in Spring Valley. (Credit: San Miguel Fire Protection District)

Nearly a dozen firefighters may have been exposed to hepatitis A while battling a vegetation fire at a homeless encampment in Spring Valley. (Credit: San Miguel Fire Protection District)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A team of firefighters may have been exposed to hepatitis A while battling a vegetation fire early Sunday at a homeless encampment in Spring Valley, officials said.

A “large amount” of urine and feces had accumulated at the encampment, prompting hazardous materials crews to require firefighters to decontaminate with soap and water before leaving the scene, according to the San Miguel Fire Protection District.

One firefighter fell and twisted his back after stepping into a bucket of waste. He was treated at a hospital and released.

Eleven firefighters were tested for the virus Monday and received injections to prevent infection.

Read the full story on LATimes.com

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram

Instagram

KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter